vendredi 13 mars 2015

Restore on new drive: Time Machine versus "Restore" via Disk Utility


I am about to install a new 240GB OWC Mercury Electra 6G (6Gb/s) SSD into the main drive bay of my MacBook Pro, moving the original Apple-installed 120GB 3G (3Gb/s) SSD into the optical bay using an OWC "Data Doubler."


I have my entire Mac OS X install and all data (that is the entire contents of the original SSD) backed up to an external Time Machine backup drive.


I'll want to make the new SSD in the main bay my bootable drive. Question is, what are the differences between these two restore strategies:




  1. Restore from Time Machine




  2. "Restore" via Disk Utility, using my original SSD (in the optical bay) as the "Source" and the new SSD (in the main bay) as the "Destination"




Are there any fundamental difference between these two approaches? Such as:



  • Is one faster than the other?

  • Does one involve more or less risk in some settings or such being "lost in translation" and needing to be reset?

  • Would both methods of restore include a recovery partition on the new SSD?


--


MacBook Pro (17-inch, Early 2011, Macbook8,3) | 2.3 GHz Intel Core i7 | Yosemite 10.10.2





Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire