mercredi 11 février 2015

Migration Assistant and ~previous system configuration files


I successfully ran Migration Assistant during the process of migrating a Mac on Mavericks to a new one on Yosemite.


On the source Mac, I made a few modifications on system configuration files for security reasons. These files are within the /etc directory:



/etc/services
/etc/sshd_config


After the run of Migration Assistant I found some of my modified configuration files under the same name but with a suffix of ~previous and my file was replaced by a new one without my modifications:



/etc/services
/etc/services~previous
/etc/sshd_config
/etc/sshd_configd~previous


I also found some other files with this ~previous suffix on files I didn't modify:



/etc/group
/etc/group~previous




Is this mechanism a kind of backup of Migration Assistant to protect a new system against potential incompatibility within configuration files?


Is the resulting new file the source one from Yosemite or a merge between the source one and my modified one?


Where is the managment of these ~previous files documented?


How should I deal with them?


(I already hunted the Knowledge Base about these files).





Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire