mardi 2 décembre 2014

iOS always-on VPN and battery life


Before setting it up I'd like to know if having an always-on VPN (IPsec) will have a disastrous effect on my battery life.


I've searched for a bit and found a few results; this thread says that the encryption overhead will of course drain the battery faster; however that's pretty minimal (the phone does it all the time with HTTPS) and what I'm mostly worried about is how much battery it drains during standby/sleep; this other post (at the bottom) says that having the "often on VPN" is very bad for the battery, but they're using the OpenVPN app and I'd like to know if the integrated IPsec client is less resource hungry.




Why I'm doing this is because my mobile ISP isn't the best in terms of privacy and I wouldn't be surprised if they did DPI or other nasty tricks to track me (ads, it's all about the ads!), so while I'm not doing anything sensitive on the device anyway I'd like to make their life as hard as possible when it comes to snooping around in my traffic.





Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire